TerraChill DX2 – CO2 Cascade Rack
Hussmann’s TerraChill DX2 is a low temperature subcritical direct expansion refrigeration solution using CO2, a naturally occurring refrigerant. The use of CO2 as a refrigerant reduces the HFC charge with a minimal impact on energy efficiency to reduce the carbon footprint of the system.
TerraChill DX2 is a subcritical CO2 system. Unlike CO2 secondary or liquid recirculation systems, subcritical CO2 systems use a vapor compression cycle similar to traditional direct expansion systems. Instead of condensing against ambient air or water, the CO2 condenses against a primary refrigerant such as R404a.
Click here to see full product brochure in PDF format.
- Use of a lower cost natural refrigerant
- GWP of 1 vs. R404A with 3920
- Approximately an 80% reduction in total refrigerant cost
- 60-70% Reduction HFC charge
- All HFCs are removed from the sales area for low temperature loads
- Primary HFC receivers sized for winter flooding charge
- 50-70% reduction in HFC leak rate
- HFCs can only be found in the machine room and the condenser, dramatically reducing the risk of refrigerant leaks
- 30-50% Reduction in carbon footprint
- Reduction in the HFC charge
- Lower HFC leak rates
- Use of CO2 as refrigerant
- Minimal increase in energy consumption
- Less copper piping required
- CO2 has 7x the volumetric efficiency of R404A which reduces line sizing tremendously